More Family
Home The Family More Family More News Occasions Photographs Blast From Past Latest News

The Family click here to go back to previous page

       Scotland         Gary Evans       Dawkins Farman Family

Fishing Fotos      Victory Family       Ann Tennant

Tayné  M  Evans   Lifeboat 'Rescuer'

Skipper Billy Mogg    George Evans



George William Evans

The following information was collected about our great uncle by my cousin Garry Evans at

I did not know that my Great Uncle George Evans had a middle name of William.
I knew that he lived somewhere in the USA.

It transpires from reading some records that I have found out a fair bit.

George William Evans was born in Gorleston, Norfolk or Suffolk whichever you prefer.
His Birth Date was 05 Nov 1892.
George is shown living with the Family in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire on the 1901 census.
I have not found him on the 1911 census but that may be because he was a Fireman in Steam Vessels and was possibly away at sea.
I cannot decide if he was in Fishing Vessels or in the Merchant Services at this 1911 juncture.

George William Evans shows up on the St Albans, Vermont, USA, Manifest on 30 October 1913.
However; reading an article on Google about the St Alban's records, they should really have been named the Montreal, Canada Manifests.
Many people used this Montreal  gateway into the USA.

He is shown as arriving in November 1913 on the Border Crossing; from Canada to US., 1895-1954 about George Evans.
However; the St Albans, Vermont record gives George's arival in the USA as being 30 October 1913.
This October/ November conflict probably occurs because the St Albans Manifests were only handed in on a monthly basis.
Port of Arrival Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Aged 21 Born about 1892 in England.
Father, Alfred Evans of 34 Blundell Avenue, (says Grimsby but should be Cleethorpes)England.
George's last permanent address says Boston, ( which was a fishing and commercial port back in the day).
Occupation:  Fireman steam ships.
There is some unintelligible writing around George's name which I could not even guess at.

I have not been able to find which vessel George sailed to Canada on, but I suppose he did arrive in Montreal before the St Lawrence Seaway froze over for the winter in 1913.
I suspect that George arrived in Montreal on or before 30 October 1913.

At some stage George moved to Chicago,Cook County, Illinois, USA and we know from Sue Whitty that George had not been in the USA long before he had an argument with a Tram and lost a leg in the process.

George was shown as living on the 1940 USA Federal Census and was at the same address in 1935.
This address was 1835, Dayton Street, Willow, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA.
His occupation was given as a Marine Fireman on Steam Ships.

George William Evans was Naturalized on 19 December 1939 in Chicago Illinois, USA.
Two witnesses were Joseph Bauer of 1835 Dayton Street and John Moser of 1828 Dayton Street.
I think Joseph was born in Austria.

George William Evans died 11 January 1945 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA.
It would appear that George was buried at Elmwood Cemetery, River Grove, Cook, Illinois aged 52.
His occupation was a Fireman, Merchant Marine at death.
Sue Whitty and I know that George's ashes were brought back to England and his ashes are within his parents grave plot.
I have no other knowledge on this part save to say I have seen the Grave in Cleethorpes Cemetery.

I also found a World War11 Draft Registration Card for George William Evans year1942.
I think it may have been dated 9/43 unless that is a code.
Serial Number 1618, address 1835 Dayton Street, Chicago, Cook, Illinois.
Age 49, born Gorleston.
Name and Address of person who will always know your Address.
Joseph Bauer, Friend, Same Address.
Employers Name and Address.
The Standard Oil Company of Indiana.
Place of Employment or Business.
Whiting Lake, Indiana.

That is the information I now have for George William Evans.
I do recall my parents telling me I had an Uncle in the USA but of course he was in fact my Great Uncle and had died before I was born.





 Grandfather's sister Catherine 'Carrie'


A wedding photograph of her granddaughter Nina Bell


Uncle Alf (Lettie & Alfreda's Dad), Jane, Ethel (Gran's sisters) my Mum (Gylettie)

Great Uncle Jack

Gran's nephew Norman Gedling - lived in South Shields

Norman was the son of Albert Gedling and his wife Alice (nee Farman) [Gran's sister]  there was also Stephen, Albert, Edith and Alice.

I knew of Stephen and Norman having met them years ago, Stephen stayed with us at my Mum's house a couple of times but I didn't know about Albert, Edith and Alice.  Thanks to Peter Gedling [son of Albert who is now 92 and the only remaining sibling] who sent me an email after seeing the website.  So another piece of the jigsaw in place.

Wedding of Alice Evans (Merry) daughter

I don't know which one. There was Alice, Clara, Ivy & one other.


Clara Merry & Bill Hughes Wedding
and a photo of their children Maureen & Terry

Daughter of Alice Evans (Merry) & family

Ernie and Alice Rogers with their daughters Jean and Joan

Gran & sister Jane


Gravestone of Gran's cousin Stella (Chaney) Dawkins Farman and her husband Samuel Dawkins Farman (Gran's brother)
together with Stella's parents in Hemsby




The following information has been gathered by Garry Evans together with
Brian Crosswell (Lily Dawkins Farman’s son)
and Linda her granddaughter.


Lily Maud Cordelia Dawkins Farman (mother of Brian Crosswell) was born in Grimsby to John Dawkins Farman who was a younger brother of our Great Grandfather James Dawkins Farman born 1856.  John was born in Gorleston about 1862.  It would seem that John was married twice and already had five children by his previous marriage when Lily was born.  He married Lily's mother Maria in 1901in the Yarmouth district.  Unfortunately Lily’s mother died in 1906 in Grimsby and the family returned to Yarmouth after Maria’s death and Lily was adopted by John's brother Samuel born 1866 (the youngest brother to our great grandfather) and his wife Jane Louisa so Lily had no need to change her name.  Samuel Dawkins Farman (born 1866 and died 1909) and his wife did not have children of their own. They also adopted an Eskimo girl Doris who Samuel brought back from Labrador, Canada on one of his many trips as Skipper of the Mission Ships and there was also Myra Upton who was probably brought up by them.

Another brother George Dawkins Farman went up to the Tyne area and lived out his life there.

There was also a sister called Alice born 1870 and died 1878/9.

Myra went on to marry Philip Malkinson in Grimsby.  Doris never married but was engaged at one time.  Lily went on to marry Samuel Albert Crosswell around 1928.  Lily and our grandmother (Gylettie Dawkins Farman [Evans]) would have been first cousins.


1st Photo: Doris, Samuel & Jane Louisa Dawkins Farman nee White. Doris  1899 Labrador, Canada
2nd Photo: Jane Louisa, Doris & Lily Maud Cordelia Dawkins Farman
3rd Photo: Samuel Dawkins Farman (in his Mission Uniform, we believe) 1866 Gorleston to 1909 Yarmouth
4th Photo: Jane Louisa Dawkins Farman nee White, wife of Samuel 1867 Barking to 1933 Norwich Hospital
5th Photo: Joseph William White & his wife Amelia Harper White nee Springett.  Parents of Jane Louisa


Samuel Dawkins Farman (brother of my great grandfather James Dawkins Farman) was the Skipper of several Mission Ships culminating in his being the Inaugural Skipper of the Hospital Mission Steamer "Queen Alexandra" in 1902.  Significantly it appears that three of Jane Louisa's brothers were also Mission Steamer Skippers.  It was on one of Samuel's voyages to Labrador that he adopted his other daughter Doris.


The following is the information Garry Evans has compiled about our Family the Dawkins Farman.  It has been long and painstaking.

Garry's email address is:

Beginnings of the name Dawkins Farman 

This is my belief as of this date 06 February 2010 as to how the Dawkins Farman name evolved.

I do not believe it to be a hyphenated name as you will read for yourself and make your own mind up.

Edward Farman born approximately 1776 in Belton near Gorleston Suffolk married Margaret Bane Simmons 1776 about Suffolk on 07 October 1803 in Belton.

Edward was a Bricklayer. Simmons may also be Symonds. I even have reservations about Bane which may have been Jane.

They produced Elizabeth Farman in 1805 Belton with other children following later.

Elizabeth would have a child in 1831 with William Dorkins who himself was born about 1803 in Suffolk. This child was called William Farman after his Mothers name as Elizabeth and William Dorkins did not marry until 1834 just before their next Son John Dorkins was born in 1834. However Dorkins was put into William Farman’s name to recognise the Father it would seem.

William Dorkins and Elizabeth Dorkins nee Farman’s subsequent children did not need to be named Farman as their parents married in Belton 18 February 1834 and lived in Gorleston.

Mary Ann Dorkins 1835 was the next born after John and she would grow up to marry George Bowles Todd which will prove significant later in the story.

Next came James Dorkins 1837 and then Samuel 1841 all children born Gorleston. 

William Dorkins died in Gorleston 1844 and Elizabeth Dorkins nee Farman would marry James Goffin from Belton in 1845 and they lived in Gorleston.

William Dawkins Farman would grow up to marry Marian Munro Wright born about 1835 Yarmouth. William Dawkons Farman as he is written on his wedding certificate had a witness called John Dawkons whom I surmise was his Brother.

Marian and William would produce a Boy William Darkens Wright in Gorleston on 11 March 1856 out of wedlock. Marian and William married on 21 February 1858 at St Nicholas Church Great Yarmouth Norfolk whilst being pregnant with James Dawkins Farman (my Great Grandfather). James was born 07 October 1858 Gorleston.

George Dawkins Farman came next born 01 September 1860 Gorleston, followed by John Dawkins Farman born 30 October 1862 Gorleston and Samuel Dawkins Farman born 26 January 1865 also Gorleston. There may have been a Girl called Alice who shows on the 1871 census who is down as a Daughter being born about 1870 Gorleston. William Dawkins Farman could not be Alice’s Father though because he died in 1866. I cannot find Alice on other censuses but she may have died in 1880 Yarmouth.

After the 1871 census where Marion Dawkins shows with the children living in Gorleston, she seems to disappear and I have been unable to locate her.

I suspect that she probably remarried after William Dawkins Farman drowned, as she was a relatively young woman. Because of this lady being called Marian and also Marion and quite possibly Mary Ann, plus all the variations of Dawkins (15 at my last count) and the fact that the family have a predilection for dropping Dawkins or Farman makes it a near impossible task to trace her.

Mary Ann Todd nee Dorkins would it seems live her life with her Mother even after she married and her Mother Elizabeth married James Goffin. James and Mary Ann show on the 1861 and 1871 census and then George Todd a Fisherman dies in 1874 or 1878 Yarmouth area. James Goffin dies in 1867. Mary Ann Todd and Elizabeth Goffin carry on living together until Elizabeth died in 1886 Yarmouth. Mary Ann Todd died in 1898 Yarmouth. I have not found any children for the Todd’s.

The 5th child previously mentioned, William Darkens Wright was living as a 5 year old on the 1861 census and as a15 year old Bricklayer on the 1871 census but under two different names. I fear that this child dies aged 15 not long after the census in 1871 in the Yarmouth area. (I have no proof of him dying then however)

William Dawkins Farman’s Brother John Dorkins, a Bricklayer and employer would go on to marry Eliza Whislay from Layer-De-La-Haye in the Colchester area of Essex. John was lodging at William and Patience Baskett’s house as a Nephew. I now believe Patience Baskett nee Farman born 22 August 1810 in Belton was a younger sister of Elizabeth Goffin formally Dorkins nee Farman. John would live most of his life and died in the Yarmouth Area in 1924 and Eliza in 1925.

Brother James Dorkins would marry Julia Whislay from Layer-De-La-Haye and it may be that Julia and Eliza were Sisters or Cousins. James died in 1885 in the Gorleston area I believe and Julia died 1903 in the Yarmouth area.

I have no information on Samuel Dorkins marrying or dying.

Now for the most tragic part of the Dawkins Farman saga. 

On 13 January 1866 the lifeboat Crew of the Ranger Company of Gorleston spotted a vessel in Distress and set out from Gorleston to try, along with another Lifeboat to assist this vessel in Distress off Yarmouth Roads outside the harbour.

The Lifeboat called “Rescuer” was crossing the bar at the entrance to Gorleston and Yarmouth when it bounced over the sand bar which unshipped the Rudder from its Pintles. The vessel turned sideways to the seas and another wave capsized her.

Sadly 12 of the crew of the “Rescuer” were drowned and also some days later one of the older survivors also died.

One of the crew was a 35 year old man called William Dawkins and in the news article said he left a Widow and 5 children.

Brian Crosswell found an article on the internet regarding this sinking of the Lifeboat with William Dawkins. Between Brian and I we worked out that our William Dawkins Farman died between the 1861 and 1871 censuses.

The 4 younger children mentioned on the news article dovetailed perfectly with our 4 younger Dawkins Farman boys but we had no knowledge of William Dawkins Wright at this time. That set us on a quest looking for the 5th child. 

Between Brian and myself, with assistance from others, we have been able to pull this story of the Dawkins Farman together.

What we can say with impunity is that the 5 children’s ages match with the news article of 1866.

Brian Crosswell’s Mother was Lily Maud Cordelia Dawkins Farman born at 88 Hildyard Street Grimsby to Maria Maud Lavinia Farman nee Upton and John Dawkins Farman.

Maria died at 88 Hildred Street in 1906 and was buried in Cleethorpes Cemetery aged 32.

Some little time later after 1906, Lily was returned to Gorleston and was adopted by her father’s widowed Sister in Law or Lily may have been adopted just before Samuel Died. Lily certainly shows on the 1911 census as being adopted by Jane Louisa Dawkins Farman.

Jane Louisa Dawkins Farman nee White originally from Barking who had married Samuel Dawkins Farman, who himself died of TB in 1909 Gorleston, also had adopted Doris Louisa Farman a naturalized Britain brought over from Labrador Canada in around 1900. As a baby Doris was born an Indigenous Native Canadian which back then was called an Eskimo Girl. Doris remained in England and served in the forces but did not marry.

John Dawkins Farman had two Wives. John’s second marriage was in Yarmouth on 28 June 1901. His second Wife Maria Maud Lavinia Upton from the Gorleston area bore him 4 or 5 children. Lily mentioned above 1904 Grimsby, Ernest Samuel Charles Dawkins Farman 1901 Gorleston, a Fisherman who sadly died in St John’s Mental hospital, Bracebridge, Lincoln aged 22 in 1924 of 6 hours of Epileptic Fits. Myra Malkinson nee Upton who lived most of her life in Grimsby was another child born 09 November 1895 in Gorleston. Another child John Farman Upton a Trawler Skipper out of Grimsby tragically killed by a German Airplane that strafed the wheelhouse of the Trawler “Chandos” and killed John on 30 March 1941. John was buried 1941 at Torshavn Cemetery in the Faeroe Islands. His Grave is administered by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A photo of the Grave and site is available for viewing on the CWGC website on the net.

We have not been able to locate John Farman Upton’s birth certificate, (Nor have Southport General Register Office that holds all these records); although his Wedding and Death details suggest 1892/3 and I rather suspect that the Child born Frederick George Dawkins Farman 25 June 1892 in Southtown with Gorleston was in fact the same boy. When one child is showing on the census, the other child is not.

I cannot find Frederick’s death, but then John Farman Upton shows as living in Grimsby and brings a family up in Grimsby. My Grandmothers Husband Alfred Samuel Evans and Gran’s Sister Ruth Dawkins Farman were witnesses at John Farman Upton’s wedding to Lily Whitehead on 04 June 1913 at St John’s Church Grimsby.

John Dawkins Farman’s first wife was Mary Ann Elizabeth Fleming 1866 Gorleston and they married in 09 Oct 1883 Gorleston. They produce Mary Ann Elizabeth Dawkins Farman22 January 1884 Gorleston, Edna Susanna Dawkins Farman 23 November 1889 Gorleston who sadly died 1894 in Yarmouth district, Annie Eliza Dawkins Farman 02 October 1891 Gorleston and then I believe John and his Wife part. Mary Ann would go on to produce 4 Boys but a Fathers name is not shown on their birth certificates. George Nelson Farman 24 March 1893 Gorleston, a Fisherman who was living with his mother on the 1911 census still single, William Harold Farman 31 May 1896 Gorleston, Albert Edward Farman 23 September 1898 and Henry Ernest Dawkins Farman 13 August 1902 Gorleston. There are still two children missing, one of whom died before the 1911 census.

When John Dawkins Farman married his second Wife on 28 June 1901 John stated that he was a Widower, which is remarkable considering his first Wife gave birth in 1902 and in fact was still alive on the 1911 Census in Gorleston. That kind of points to the second marriage being bigamous! In fact on the 1911 Census Mary Ann states that she has been married for 26 years and produced 9 children, of which 2 had died before the 1911 census.

There are a few minor details still missing but I am convinced in my mind that what is written above is correct.

The problem will remain as to which is the true spelling of Dawkins but this way seems more and more the way that the name gets spelled in later records for the family.

Barken, Parken_, Dawkons, Dorkings, Dorking, Darking, Darkons, Darkons, Dorkons, Dawkins, Dorkins, Darkins, Darkens, Daukins, Daukings and Dauking are what have turned up as spellings for the moment.

In Conclusion I am convinced that William Dawkins Farman was the one and only Dawkins Farman.  Any you may come across are likely related through him, as in my Grandmother’s case, Gylettie Emma Dawkins Farman the daughter of James Dawkins Farman. 

I give this information freely and without prejudice.


Gareth Evans 06 February 2010.


The William Dawkins mentioned was the Grandfather of (Gran) Gylettie Emma Dawkins Farman. His real age was 35. My internet colleague decided to hand type the article because his original newspaper is in such poor condition from 1866. He has kept the spelling errors etc as was written.

Since receiving this story I have been able to work out that William Dawkins Farman’s body floated onto the beach opposite what is now Harbord Crescent, Great Yarmouth. The accident occurred just after noon on Saturday the 13 January 1866 and William was washed ashore sometime on the following Monday late afternoon. The Lifeboat itself came ashore near the Wellington Pier. Several days after the inquest Mr Robert Warner sadly passed away after not fully recovering the tragedy and so the losses became 13 of the 16 crewmen. William was buried in Gorleston Cemetery near the gates but apparently there is no monument to be seen now.



The following report has been passed on to Garry via Derek Farman and Derek (an historian) has given permission for it to be added to the website.


Date…Jan 20. 1866


At noon on Saturday last, a most melancholy and terrible catastrophe occurred at Gorleston, which resulted in the loss of no fewer than twelve brave and experienced boatmen.


The facts as gleaned on the spot an hour or two later were as follows:in the forenoon a vessel with a signal of distress in her maintopmast rigging was seen running northward through the roads, and at once the lifeboats Rescuer and Friend of All Nations were fully manned and  proceeded out of the harbour in order to render her whatever assistance she might require.  The wind at the time was blowing a gale from S.S.W.   The sea was rather rough, and there was a heavy swell on the bar, the itde being last quarter ebb.    Both lifeboats were under reefed sails, the Rescuer being just ahead and on the the port side of the Friend of All Nations.  As they passed over the bar, the water upon which was very shallow, the Rescuer touched the ground, in consequence of which her rudder became unshipped.  At this moment a heavy sea struck her and she caught the ground and immediately turned over bottom upwards, the crew numbering 16 hands being underneath.  Two of these being named Robert Warner and George Palmer, managed to get from under her sides and were then rescued by means of boathooks by the crew of the other lifeboat.  The Friend of All Nations  was instantly veered round and proceeded after the Rescuer, which in the meantime had beaten  over the North Sand, bottom upwards with two of her crew, namely Edward Westwoods jun., and Wm. Austrin who had succeeded in getting onto her keel .  The Friend of All Nations came up with her after she had drifted about three-quarters of a mile and managed to take off the two above-named men in a very exhausted state.  Every effort was made by the Friend of All Nations to recover the rest of the unfortunate men, but without success, as not a man of them was to be seen.

                The names of the twelve men who have thus perished were-

                James Woods jun., aged 29, who leaves a widow,

                Charles Woods brother to  the above, aged 27 and unmarried.

                Edward Woods, sen., aged 55 leaves a widow and several young children.

                Edward Welton, aged 25, leaves a widow and one child,

                Abel Newson, aged 25, leaves a widow and three children,.

                Christopher Whiley, aged 46, leaves a widow and eight children, five of whom are very young.

                Christopher Parker, aged 61, married.

                William Dawkins, aged 27 leaves a widow and five children.

                Robert Spillings, aged 40, leaves a widow and eight children.

                William Manthorpe, aged 19, unmarried.

                James Fleming, aged 24. unmarried.

                Benjamin Harris, aged 30, leaves a widow.

                The crew of the Rescuer were nearly all experienced boatmen, and were under the command of Robert Spillings, the coxswain, in whom the greatest confidence was reposed , as a man of long experience, firmness and steadiness.  The accident is attributed to no want of skill on their part, but to the insufficient depth of water on the bar, and the state of the wind and tide at the time.

                The Rescuer came ashore subsequently near the Wellington-pier.  She was a boat in the buoyancy and sea-worthy qualities of which the men had the utmost confidence, having been out withher n the heaviest gales.  She belonged to the Ranger Company, for whom she was built in 1856 by Messrs. Beeching on Mr. Teasdel’s plan, which is not that of the self-righting principle.  Her draught of water was 2 feet 9 inches, the rudder drawing about  4 feet.

                It ought to be stated that the crew at the itme of the accident were not protested by lifebelts, and wore their ordinary clothing, consisting of Guernsey frocks, oil jackets and heavy sea-boots.

                A catastrophe so appalling has not occurred in this district for many years and has spread a gloom not only among the hamlets of Gorleston and Southtown but over the whol town of Yarmouth.

                It will be seen that the foregoing list comprises nine widows and about 30 children, most of whom it is believed are unprovided for.



                On Monday evening one of the bodies of the drowned men, named Wm. Dawkins was washed ashore on the beach, and on Tuesday and inquest was held at the Duke’s Head Inn, Gorleston before C.H. Chamberlin Esq., and a respectable jury, of which Mr.Abel King was foreman.

                The coroner said it woul dnot be necessary for him to detain them by any lengthy observation.  He had called them together, to enquire in the cause and death of this man, who they were aware, was oneo those who perished in that most lamentable catastrophe which took place on Saturday last.  If this was as is generally believed, entirely an accident, their duties as jury men would be exceedingly simple.  At the same time he would be very glad to receive their assistance, as possibly some suggestions might arise in the course of this enquiry, which would have the effect of rendering the boarmen more careful, and preventing the recurrence of  similar calamities.

                The jury having viewed  the body, its identity was deposed to by Mr. J. F. Crowe, living at Row 75, Howard Street.  The deceased was a boatman who lived in Gorleston.  He was 35 years of age.

                James Ames, living in 8, Wellington Place, Yarmouth, deposed that about a quarter- past six o’clock on Saturday afternoon, he picked up the body on the beach opposite the Militia barracks. 

                Edward Westwood said he was a boatman living in Gorleston and was one of the crew who went out in the Rescuer on Saturday.

                You went out in consequence of seeing a signal flown by some vessel?-                At what time did the boat leave the leave the harbour? -About five minutes to twelve.

                Was the deceased, William Dawkins, one of the crew?- Yes

                How many men were in the boat altogether?- Sixteen

                Did another lifeboat go out at the same time?- Yes, the Friend of All Nations, belonging to another company.

                Which boat was ahead?-The Rescuer was the first boat.

                Then the other boat did not hinder you in any way?-No, no, we were a hundred fathoms ahead.

                How was the wind?- S.S.W.

                And the tide?- Ebb

                A strong ebb tide?- Very strong.

                Was there much sea on the bar?- No there was not enough water on it to make a sea.

                How did this accident occur?- As she was crossing the bar she took the ground in mid channel, and struck three or four times.  Her rudder was sent  up[ the mizen and she hove down bottom upwards.  When I found she was over, I jumped clear of the boat and swam from her, but seeing she turned bottom up, I swam back and got on her keel.

                Then the boat did not strike on the North Sand?- No, no.  She was a long way off the North Sand.

                What water was on the bar?- I should say not more than two feet.

                What swell was there? -There was not enough water to make much of a swell.

                What water did your boat draw?-About two feet nine inches, or three feet, the rudder about four feet.

                You say she struck in mid channel?-Yes

                You did not endeavour to cut out the other boat? No, sir.

                You had not your lifebelts on?- No

                Why hadn’t you?- We did not think of them for such a time as that.  We did not think there was much use for them.

                But if you had them on you would all have been saved.  Were your plugs all right?- I’ll kiss the book on it.  I took out the starboard plug myself, and a young man who was drowned took out those on the port side. 

                Were the ballast compartments full of water?- Yes, they were all right.

                Are you sure the accident happened as you have described?- I am sure if it were not for her touching the ground it would not have happened.

                How were the sails? -There were two reefs in the lugger mizen , tow in the mizen, and two in the foresail.

                Did one of the whips get foul?- One of the whips got under the rudder.

                By design or accident?-By accident.

                Had that anything to do with the boat upsetting?-No, it was the ground that did it; she was on the ground with a strong ebb tide, and that as the cause of it.

                And she was not near the North at all?-She was in mid-channel on the bar, sir, and that is 300 fathoms from the North.

                There were only four saved?-Only four!

                Were you taken off the boat’s bottom?-I was taken off by the crew of the other boat.

                The Coroner - Would you wish, gentlemen to ask the witness any questions?

                The Foreman- a lot of us saw the accident and know how it happened as well as himself.  What he has stated is perfectly correct.

                Witness to Jury-She at first struck aft very hard and knocked  the rudder up six or seven inches.  The rudder could not have got adrift.  The boat lay heavily on her bilge.

                The Foreman-There was not enough water for her to recover herself.

                A Juror-That boat has gone through four times that weather and never took any harm. 

                The Coroner (to witness)-Youmust have known what water there was on the bar?- We were going to save life.

                You were not going to save life then?-She had a union downwards on her main topmast rigging as as signal for assistance and we could not tell what was amiss with her.  We look upon a signal of that kind as a most urgent one, and did not think much of our own lives.

                The Coroner I was informed by other persons that she had not a union down.

                A juror -I saw her myself as she was passing and she had a union downwards.

                Another Juror-If those on board saw the accident they must have altered it directly.

                The Coroner-Could they see the accident?

                The Juror-Yes sir.

                The Coroner observed that that was a strong point in favour of the crew if they went out believing life was in danger.

                A Juror-We could have produced a hundred witnesses to the fact that the ensign was in the main topmast rigging, union downwards.

                Witness in reply to the Coroner said there was no neglect on the part of the men whatever. The fact of the sheet foul had nothing to do with the accident.  The third time the boat struck the rudder was knocked half was up the mizzen.

                George Palmer, the other man taken off the keel of the Rescuer, gave similar evidence.  They were trying to get the mizzen sheet aft, which had got stuck in the boat’s heel as she struck on the bar.

                Do you think if you could have got the mizzen sheet she would have struck the ground?- I believe she would have done it all the same.  We went round the south pier as close as we could.  The fouling of the sheet had nothing to do with the accident, which was entirely owing to the want of water on the bar.

                Several of the jury who were mostly experienced boatmen expressed a similar opinion as to the cause of the accident.

                The Coroner asked why this boat could not have gone out as the other boat did.

                Witness said the other boat bumped too, but by good luck she shot herself ahead.

                The Coroner observed that it was clear if this boat had taken the same course as the other, she would have got clear.

                Witness to the Coroner- The plugs were all right when we crossed the bar.  We crossed in mid-channel and did not touch the North at all until we went over it bottom upwards.  Could not see whether the other had dripped her anchor as I was in the water at the time.

                James Clarke, coxswain of the Friend of all Nations deposed- I did not see the boat upset because the mizzen prevented me, but both started from the pier, and as she was crossing the bar one of our people sung out, “Good God! That boat is going over;” and another sung out to keep our boat away, bit I said I dared not do so, as we were not clear ourselves, but as soon as the rudder was clear of the gudgeon-

                The Coroner-Your rudder was not clear?

                Witness-We were striking ourselves, and the rudder was on my arm.  As soon as we crossed the bar we slacked away and let go an anchor and veered down broadside to the other boat.  We picked up two of the men in the water, but before we got  to the others they had all gone down.  I had hold of poor Mr Mr. Warner myself with one hand and Mr. Whiley with the other, but the boat lurching broke my hold of Mr. Whiley and he went down.  We then followed the other boat and took two men off her keel.  We know the the water on the bar was shallow, but thought the lifeboat could be got out.  Had been out before during this season, and the boat caught the ground several times in crossing the bar.

                What signal did the vessel show?-A waif tied up.

                It was not an ensign?- I could not see whether it was an ensign or not.

                Was it union downwards?- I could not see that.

                The Coroner said the boatmen ought not to run such great risk in putting off to a vessel with merely a waif, which was not a signal for urgent assistance.  It was a fact that when a boat wnet afterwards to the vessel themaster said he wanted only oil ofr his lamps, though he afterwards took an anchor and chain.

                A Juror- How many times did your boat strike on the bar?- Four times

                Before you bore up for assistance?-Yes

                You do not think there was much sea on the bar?-No.

                The Coroner-I am afraid that bar is in a dreadful state.

                Witness-In a very dreadful state, sir.

                Many of the Jury concurred  in this remark.

                Witness further stated that the master of one of the tugs refused to tow the lifeboat in because his own vessel had struck heavily in going out.  All the men who had been rescued were now quite well, except Mr. Warner who was not yet recovered.

                Mr.Warner,jun., one of the jury, said, with reference to the plugs, that almost the first question he asked his father when he was able to speak, was whether the plugs were out, and he replied they were all out.

                Witness in answer to the Jury, said the signal he saw was a waif stopped up.  He was sitting at home when he was told of a vessel passing, but as it was only a waif he di dnot intend to go, as he thought she might only an anchor; but as the other boat was going out he started too.

                The Coroner observed that for men to attempt to cross the bar and to risk their lives when they considered the lives of otheres were in danger, was a brave and heroic act; but if it was only a waif that was exhibited, it was very rach and wrong to run such a risk.

                Several of the Jury affirmed that they themselves saw the signal and that it was a flag union downwards.  They expressed themselves fully satisfied as to the cause of the accident, and returned a verdict of “Accidental Death”.


Back To Top

Fishing Photographs



Photos 1 & 3 "Black Prince", Photo 2 "Stalberg", Photos 4 & 5 SS "Consbro"


Photo 6 unknown, Photo 7 Aberdeen Registered Trawler

The Victory Family - Dublin, Ireland

Tom Victory married my Aunt Jean Eva (mum's youngest sister) they had five children Tom, Marie, Kathleen, Kevin and Paul before divorcing.

Uncle Tom's Mother, Father, sister Frances and Marie visited England many times and Marie and I wrote to each other for years until our own families and life meant we had little time and so the letters stopped, but we had some very happy memories of all the family.  Tommy and I visited them in Dublin in 1954 when we were 18 and had a wonderful time. My mother and Aunt Marieam also stayed with Mr. and Mrs. Victory in Dublin and they also had a wonderful time. The following are photo's I have gathered over the years of this wonderful family.  Kathleen (Kathy) is now in touch by email with Frances (daughter of Saemus) so the link is joined up again.
The Victory Family

back l to r: Joe, Saemus, Tom
front l to r: Kay, Frances, Marie


50th Wedding

All the family gathered for the 50th

Family gathered for Kay & Albert daughter's wedding

back row l - r: Tommy Rooney, Vinney Stuart, James, Frances, Tom, Albert, Joe
front row l - r: Marie, Elizabeth, Lil, Kay, Eileen



The Victory Family

Kevin, Marie and Paul

Kevin, Kathleen & Marie

Tom junior, Tom Senior & Marie

Back To Top

back l to r: Frances, Saemus, Eileen, Jean, Kay

front l to r: Mr. Victory (Grandad Tom) Tommy Rooney, Marie


Tommy & Marie                         Vincent, Tommy
                                        Marie & Frances
Marie                    Eileen, Saemus, Mum,                     Mr. & Mrs. Victory
                                Mrs. Victory,
                                Frances, baby,
                       Aunt Marieam (photo taken
                               when my Mum & A. Marieam
                                visited Dublin)


My Paternal Grandmother who died when my father was 6 and a half years of age.

[All the following information is thanks to Gareth Evans [my cousin] who painstakingly spent hours on the internet and in the library finding out all the information to put the puzzle together about my father's mother.  My father died when I was four so there were big gaps]

Ann Tennant Gimpton 19 married James Meadows 22 at St Andrews Church Grimsby 07 03 1900. Bride and Groom living at same address 29 Bath Street. Groom was a Fisherman and his father was called James. Her father was called Samuel and he was a Fisherman.

The first witness was William Alfred Hodges. The second witness was Agnes Elizabeth Hawdron.

Susan Ellen Gimpton 19 married James Paddison 21 at St Andrews Church Grimsby

27 02 1900. Bride and Groom were stated as living at 3 Hope Street. Groom was a Fisherman. Groom's Father was called Thomas. Her father was called Samuel and he was a Fisherman.

The First witness was J W Coulthard. The Second witness was Alice Anne Farmery

 It looks like Ann and Susan were probably Sisters.

Ann Tennant Meadows died 24 May 1911 and was buried on 27 May 1911 Aged 27. She was the Wife of William James Meadows and living at the rear of 49 Bath Street, Grimsby.

Ann is buried in Section 37, Row G, Grave 17 at Scartho Cemetery.

The Telegraph Death report was in the Friday, May 26th, 1911 edition..

A Mass of Flames.

Grimsby Woman’s Terrible Death.

The Deputy Borough Coroner on Thursday Evening held an inquiry at Grimsby Hospital into the tragic burning accident which resulted in the death of Ann Tennant Meadows, aged 27, the wife of James William Meadows, a fisherman residing at the back of 49 Bath Street.

The accident was described briefly by the husband. It appeared that late on Wednesday evening the deceased was trimming the wick of a paraffin lamp which was on a table in the bedroom. She was partly undressed at the time and in some unaccountable manner her flannelette under clothing caught fire.

Before her husband, who was in bed, knew anything was wrong, she was a mass of flames and suffering from terrible injuries. She was at once conveyed to the Hospital.

Dr Harold described it as the worst case of burning he had ever seen. Deceased, he said was admitted about midnight, and died the following morning at a quarter past seven, her condition being hopeless from the first. The burns extended practically all over the body, and death was due to shock.  Deceased was quite conscious and told him she did not know how her clothes had come to catch fire.

A verdict of “Accidental Death” was recorded.

Back To Top

The Family click here to go back to previous page

The following words regarding Tom and Sylvia are written by their son Gareth

Also the words given to the Evening Telegraph written by Gary for his beloved sister Tayné.

Thomas Baxter Evans Born 12th June 1923 in Cleethorpes and died 28th August 1982 in the Hotel Isla in San Sebastian, Spain.  He had been relief Skipper of one ship and was waiting to go as Skipper of another Fishing Vessel.  The Doctor, who examined Dad, declared that he had died at about 2 am in his sleep of a heart attack.  Dad was 59.  The Owners of the Hotel Isla were absolutely fantastic.  The Owner's sister-in-law was working on reception that night.  She told me that Dad was sat opposite her in the reception foyer, drinking a cup of coffee whilst talking to her.  He then said he was going to bed and would see her in the morning.  That was a midnight.  A Spanish man owned the hotel and he was married to a Lady from Liverpool. 
(No language barrier)!
Sylvia Joyce Mogg (Evans) born 9th July 1924, Grimsby.  Died 9th January 1995 at about 19.15 hours GMT.  (We are convinced that Mum had probably died before the Ambulance Crew arrived)

She had cooked her our tea.  We had eaten our tea.  We were sat watching the telly when she coughed twice and died of a heart attack.  (Life can be over that quick). 

I, Gareth, gave her heart massage and Tayné gave her the kiss of life.  Sadly the Ambulance Crew and Hospital Staff could not revive her.  She was 70.



Tayné Millicent Evans. Born on the 17 June 1960 at home in 9 Howlett Road, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire to her late parents Skipper Tom Evans and Sylvia Evans nee Mogg. Declared Dead on arrival at the Dianna Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby North East Lincolnshire at 07:30 Hours on 19 November 2007.

Tayné was on her way to work and spoke to our Neighbour across the road who was also leaving for work sometime around 06:50 hours.
At 07:02 Tayné pulled off Ladysmith Road and on to Crown Paints Car Park and parked down the side of the store correctly.
Tayné would not have had her phone turned on and so she must have turned it on and phoned 999.
I believe the call was made at 07:02 and 6 minutes later the Ambulance arrived and then 2 minutes later a second Ambulance arrived. I believe the call cut off during Tayné calling the Ambulance. Maybe Tayné died then but she obviously gave the Emergency Services directions to where she had parked.
WELL DONE AMBULANCE PEOPLE, especially when you have to deal with mindless people who vandalise emergency service vehicles whilst you are trying to help people in great need.
Tayné was one of life’s enthusiastic, kind, caring, honest people. She would offer good, sound, careful advice if asked.
From Tayné’s last Managers, it would seem that she integrated very well and soon became a valued member of her work place often mentoring new starters.
Tayné herself would say that she would be slow to pick up new ways of doing things but once she had understood the concept she was away with the mixer.
Tayné seemed to cross all the age ranges with friends which was born out with the packed crematorium.
One of Tayné’s colleagues wrote to me and said that Tayné was known as “The Queen Of Hugs” which she loved apparently. A hug given or received meant so much to Tayné, which could convey that someone was loved, cared about or just “How are You Today” or valued.
Tayné was a fantastic, Sister, Cousin and friend to have had in your life.
She was not loud or brash but she did posses a wonderful mischievous sense of fun but could not tell a joke even for Chocolate.
Tayné was not a Church going Christian, but she was very spiritual and had an unswerving faith and belief in God as an entity and no specific shape or colour.
Tayné was not blessed with the best of health throughout her all too short life, but her indomitable spirit dictated that she would work through most of her illnesses.
Tayné contracted Hodgkin’s disease, a type of cancer when she was only 23 but fought back magnificently, ably assisted by our loving Mother.
After Tayné triumphed over her adversary, she and Mum began raising money for Dr Gordon Reed’s Cancer Charity. A Big thank you to Dr Reed and the Medical Staff that assisted Tayné through her ordeal and giving us her family and friends, many more years of delight in Tayné’s loving company. Thank you also to all the other medical people that Tayné has had to see over the ensuing years, for her various ailments.
Tayné carried on giving to charities over the years because she said that there were people in a far worse situation than herself.
She even bought a Goat for the third world which would be donated to a family that was in need. The goat was named Gomez by Tayné, but I said this goat was going to an African state and she had named it with a Mexican name. Tayné said “welll” and laughed.
Tayné was a great organiser and filer of documentation.
I have never gone on the hunt for something without asking Tayné first because invariably she would know just where to find it.
Tayné had been organising her own Funeral for many, many years.
She did not find it morbid but was always intrigued by the process of such an event. Tayné loved the Crime thrillers and especially documentaries on death and dying.
Her favourite soap was Emmerdale and her favourite programme at the moment was Strictly Come Dancing and It Takes Two with Claudia Winkleman.
She believed passionately in Euthanasia and could never understand how some politician could stand in the way of a dignified end to ones life when all dignity is slipping fast away from someone and not wanting palliative care.
In this country Tayné believed that you could get a gaol sentence for not doing the right things by your pets but politicians would rather see people suffer in mental pain and turn a blind eye and then go and vote for wars.
Tayné left us with a twenty one page document complete with a little bag with swatches of coloured ribbons to give us an idea of the ribbons she wished to have adorning her coffin. This document contained the format for her service, the songs and poems and just left room for the Minister to add in his own words and Committal pronouncements. However a few days before Tayné died, we went to Norburn’s Garden centre and bought a whole bunch of coloured ribbons which I am convinced were for her Funeral. Tayné never used ribbons in her Christmas décor. I do not know if Tayné had a sense of her mortality swirling around her at this time. She was always talking to her Angels and she would tell me never to ask for money. Maybe Tayné had got the nod from a higher being, but that is conjecture on my part.
Tayné was not a crank or weirdo, but a realist in that she knew that life could come and bite you on the bum at any time. Tayné took great joy from her Angels and all the dogs of hers and our relatives that are still alive and those that have gone on.
Doggy toys and treats were her big thing at Christmas, along with her magnificent Christmas displays set around the house. People would look forward to receiving a Christmas card from Tayné. She would fill them with bits of Glitter, Sayings and Poems. (And then have to clean up after opening her card). I will miss my cards.
Tayné had not finished the decorations this year and I have not got the heart to finish them. I feel that they are finished as they are.
Now to the most magnificent part of Tayné’s funeral arrangement and that was that she should go on her final journey on a three Wheeled Harley Davidson Motor Cycle Hearse.
As far as I know Tayné had never even sat on a Motor Cycle of any description but when I told our younger Cousin about this hearse, Kim told me that Tayné had long held a desire to ride on a Harley.
Tayné found a site that had a Motor Cycle Hearse on the internet and she enquired about having it when she might die sometime in the future. That date was August 6 2006. replied back to Tayné giving her details but wishing her a long and prosperous life and the hope that they would not be hearing from her relatives for many years.
Tayné told them that she was not a biker but she rather liked the idea of starting her funeral with a motor bike ride. They are based in Northumberland and can be contacted on 0845 6022774 (local rate call charge)
The freesia arrangement from the Family was done by Hayley who does flowers exclusively for the Funeral Director. The service was conducted by Mr Nick Oldfield DipFD Funeral and Associated Services. 01472 599089
Special praise here must go to Tony Alexander and his magnificent team who have taken care of Tayné since passing in to their care. Tony became a friend of Tayné’s when he worked at another place and they did our Mother’s Funeral.
Once Tayné found out that Tony had opened Alexanders Funeral Care at 70 Carr Lane, Grimsby, N E Lincolnshire, DN32 8JP she contacted Tony and he invited her to look round and from then on it would seem there was no question as to where Tayné would be taking her final journey from. I cannot praise Tony Alexander’s attitude or commitment highly enough for making sure your loved ones journey will be all that you would wish for yourself.
If you have any doubts, I can highly and unreservedly recommend Tony Alexander and his team who will do everything in their power to see that the days go off well.
01472 355255.          Email
Finally I have to pay a special thank you to the Star of the Show who put it all together beautifully and brought a smile tinged with sadness to so many people, the one and only Miss Tayné Evans.
You did so much good in your 47 years.
Go with your God Tayné
Love for ever from your Family and Friends.
If anyone did not get a copy of the order of Service who came to the service or would like to send one to a member of the tribe abroad, would you get in touch with Garry as soon as possible on 814378 and I will do my best to send you one.



The Family


News From Scotland

Email received from Rab Hanley and I think it would be of interest to his family here in Cleethorpes & district.

Auntie May was from "Allanton" and not Ayrshire as stated.  (now corrected)

Also, Auntie May's sister, Auntie Annie, is still alive and well and stays in our village.

She's 85 now and going strong.

One of my earliest memories was being taken and shown where Uncle John and Auntie May stayed on Brereton Avenue.

Incidentally, it was nice to see the wedding photo of my Uncle Wullie and Auntie Marie.  My Uncle Wullie was my dad's brother.  My dad (Bruce Hanley) is also in the picture (he's the wee boy with the shorts at the extreme right) and I believe that it's Uncle Albert Meech that has his hand on his shoulder.

Also in the picture at the back is my grandfather, Robert Hanley, my grandmother Kathie Stewart Dunsmore Hanley, Bodie Waddell (Kiltie) front left and Archie McCue (Kiltie) front right.

I also recognise Nana Meech beside Auntie Marie.

It rekindles many memories of many holidays I've spent in Cleethorpes and New Waltham, visiting Uncle Wullie and Auntie Marie, Yvonne, Karin and Dale in Prettyman Crescent, visiting Uncle Albert and Auntie June in North Sea Lane, Sam's Bazaar, Freeman Street Market, Fish and Chips from Ernie Becketts and swimming through the ladybird epidemic at the open air pool, where Cleethorpes Leisure Centre now stands.

Anyway, I need to go, as it's getting near time to go to work.

I hope the site goes from strength to strength......

Kindest Regards and the very best wishes from Scotland.

Rab Hanley

Bruce Hanley, Father of Rab and brother of Bill (Wullie) Hanley

Aunt May's Parents:
William Dunsmore (b. 21.12.1873)
Isabella Dunsmore (b.28.12.1879)
Her Brothers and Sisters as follows:
Isabella Dunsmore (b. 19.10.1898)
Margaret Dunsmore (b. 16.12.1899)
Boy-died-birth unregistered 1900
Elizabeth Dunsmore (b. 13.01.1901)
David Dunsmore (b. 16.12.1901)
Janet Dunsmore (b. 25.05.1903)
Boy-died-birth unregistered 1904
Grace Dunsmore (b.17.05.1905)
Girl-died-birth unregistered 1906
William Dunsmore (b.05.05.1907)
Gilbert Dunsmore (b. 26.12.1908)
Girl-died-birth unregistered 1909
Girl-died-birth unregistered 1910
Marion Dunsmore (b. 26.08.1911)
Robert Dunsmore (b. 26.06.1913)
Kathie Dunsmore (b. 30.05.1915)
Girl-died- birth unregistered 1916
Thomas Dunsmore (b. 16.11.1917)
Annie Dunsmore (b. 12.05.1919)... only living sibling
Boy-died-birth unregistered 1920
May Dunsmore (b. 05.08.1922)
Boy-died-birth unregistered 1922


Back To Top  

Home The Family More Family More News Occasions Photographs Blast From Past Latest News